This article applies to those of you that are looking for health insurance in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.
There are several affordable health insurance plans in the Miami - Ft. Lauderdale area. You just need to make sure you are insured by a reputable Miami health insurance company that will pay your medical insurance claims and provide you with the healthcare insurance coverage you need.
Instant quotes are a great tool for finding the best health insurance in Fort Lauderdale or Miami, but they can't replace the knowledge and advice a good agent can provide.
Types of Health Insurance in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale:
- HMO's - Health Maintenance Organizations
- Health maintenance organizations typically only provide coverage when you use their network providers (except for emergencies).
- HMO networks are smaller and require referrals for specialists.
- HMO's use a copay system to share costs.
- HMO's have also started to add deductibles in order to reduce their risk and lower premiums.
- HMO's offer better maternity coverage in Miami than the PPO's do.
- Click here to learn more about Health Maintenance Organizations in Florida.
- PPO's - Preferred Provider Organizations
- PPO's provide coverage both in and out of network allowing you to choose any doctor giving you the broadest possible selection of providers.
- PPO's give you more control over the decision making process.
- PPO's share costs through an annual deductible and co-insurance. Since you choose the deductible you have maximum control in managing your risk.
- PPO's usually offer copays for doctor visits and prescriptions medications as an option.
- PPO members are entitled to the network medical providers contracted rate for covered services. These discounts can be substantial.
- Click here to learn more about Preferred Provider Organizations in Florida.
- HSA's - Health Savings Accounts
- HSA's are typically PPO's, some HMO's offer HSA's in some areas.
- HSA's do not offer copays. Doctor visits and prescription medications are subject to the deductible and co-insurance when covered.
- HSA's offer great tax deductions.
- HSA's offer a tax-deferred investment vehicle.
- HSA' require that you be enrolled in a qualified (by the IRS) high deductible health plan (HDHP).
- When used properly HSA's are your best choice for health insurance in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and the rest Florida.
- Click here to learn more about Health Savings Accounts in Florida.
- POS's - Point of Service Plans
- POS plans are HMO's that function like a PPO and have the usage characteristics of a PPO.
These designations can be confusing at first, but they can be easily differentiated on two factors:
- Structure/Use of the provider network
- Methods used for sharing costs
Health Insurance Companies in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami:
Now that you know what types of health insurance policies are available you need to find out what health insurance companies are offering medical insurance, or healthcare coverage in your area. You can get a complete list of all the health insurance companies in Florida at the Florida Department of Financial Services' website. I have researched every company on that list and these are the insurance companies I recommend. These companies are well known and they offer the lowest rates and the best healthcare coverage in Dade and Broward. Collectively, these companies insure over 150 million people nationwide.
- Aetna - POS, PPO
- Humana One - PPO
- United Healthcare - PPO
- Cigna - POS, PPO
- AvMed - POS
- Vista Healthplan - HMO
- Preferred Medical Plan - HMO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - HMO, PPO
There are many smaller medical and health insurance companies in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, but in my opinion, they don't provide the value that these Florida health insurance companies do. As an independent agent the growth and success of my business depends giving people sound advice, and helping them evaluate and manage their risk effectivley. I have evaluated all of the health insurance plans on the basis of price, quality of the provider network, financial stability, ability to pay claims, and overall customer service, these are the health insurance companies I recommend for people living in Miami-Dade and Broward counties. Miami Dade Blue is a brand new health insurance plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield, itis only available to residents of Miami Dade County.
OK, so you know what type of Miami health insurance and which companies you should consider. Your health and whether you have any pre-exisiting conditions or are taking prescription medications will be the primary factor in choosing a health insurance policy. Each company has different "tolerances" for those pre-existing conditions and different ways of adjusting your health insurance premium to account for the additional risk. There is no point in in applying for a health insurance policy if your are going to get declined. If you have a preexisting condition or are taking prescription medications call me and I'll let you know what to expect from the underwriter. The best health insurance plan for you will be based on your own personal needs.
At this point you are probably tired of reading this really boring stuff. If you made it this far... Congratulations! The good news is that now the instant quotes will make a lot more sense. Don't be afraid of the high deductible health plans they are much cheaper, provide comprehensive coverage, and can save you thousands of dollars every year in health insurance premiums. Taking the additional risk will also encourage you to stay healthy so you don't have to use it.
Keep in mind that the health insurance companies in Florida know that healthy people don't use their health insurance...and if you are not healthy you might not get in...and if you are not healthy and you do get in they are going to charge you more. They calculate their risk and your health insurance premium using statistical probabilities. Statistically healthy people have lower medical expenses and pose a much lower risk to the health insurance companies. Remember, health insurance is tool to be used to manage risk, it is not a bill paying service. In the long run higher deductibles with lower premiums can save you considerable amounts of money. Those savings can be compounded exponentially if you invest the difference in a Health Savings Account. Get Healthy, Stay Healthy, and Save.
If you have pre-exisiting conditions, or have been told that you are uninsurable I can help. Fact is there are guaranteed issue health insurance plans in Florida. Call me and I will help you find out if you are eligible.
Please feel free to call or email me with your questions. You are never under any obligation to purchase anything at anytime. If you feel that I helped you and you would like to use me as your agent I would be happy to have you as a client.